The most important thing a born again Christian can do is to pray – Chuck Smith
Genuine and sincere prayer to God reflects the reality that Christianity is not a religion, but rather, a relationship. It is also a conduit through which God chooses to openly display Himself in the lives of His children by wonderful and miraculous works. Of course, to have this prayer relationship with God you must first believe in the Gospel. It’s through personal faith in the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ that you are forgiven, cleansed of your sins and enabled to enter the presence of God in prayer. While your prayer life is a daily dialogue with God it is also a daily discipline. Jesus exhorted His disciples to get alone with God, to avoid pretentious prayers full of empty, heartless repetition. Prayer should be dynamic and multi-faceted. In fact, He gave his disciples a model prayer as an outline to follow in Matthew 6:5-15.
1. Relationship: Our Father in heaven. Remember that having believed in Jesus and His gospel you now approach God as His child. You don’t come on the basis of your work but on the basis of His work for you.
2. Reverence: Hallowed be your name. While we can be genuine and sincerely open with God without pretense, we remember simultaneously that we are addressing the Holy God who is the Maker of the universe and also our Maker. Therefore, we honor Him and remember that His very name is holy and to be hallowed. In a Christian culture that has gone overboard in an effort to make God relevant and relatable, we need to consider the words of the seraphim that fly around His throne day and night declaring, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD of Hosts; The whole earth is full of His glory!” (Isaiah 6:3).
3. Submission: Your kingdom come Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. As Kingdom Citizens we are no longer pursuing our kingdom but His kingdom. Our chief desire is to see God’s will come to pass on earth in our generation. We have aligned ourselves with what matters to Him and have consequently submitted and surrendered completely to Him.
4. Dependence: Give us this day our daily bread. Humble dependence upon God was the pattern that Jesus laid down for us to follow. The truth is that as much as we would like to think we are in control, that is simply an illusion. GOD IS IN CONTROL. As we acknowledge this we learn daily, humble dependence upon Him to supply our needs and avoid the tendency to live independently from Him. You may be a mover and a shaker, you may have great position and influence, but the truth is you cannot even breathe without Him.
5. Confession: And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Confession of your sins is where your relationship with God began but it is a continuous part of your relationship with Him. Daily confession cleanses you, reminds you of the importance of walking in righteousness, and helps you to remember how grave the issue of sin is to God. Your sin is what sent Christ to the cross.
6. Deliverance: Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Paul said that our weapons of warfare are not fleshly in nature but mighty in God (2 Corinthians 10:4). God is your deliverer. He delivers you to victory over your adversary but that battle is not won in your power. It is won in His power. It is not a physical fight. It is a spiritual fight against wicked principalities and powers. And Christ alone has the power to make you more than a conqueror (Ephesians 6:10-20, Zechariah 4:6, Romans 8:37).
7. Worship: For Yours is the kingdom, power, glory forever AMEN. Worship is often consigned to corporate gatherings, but the adoration of God and the exaltation and affirmation of His beauty and magnificence is daily and forever. It is so important to get our eyes off of ourselves and our struggles and onto the Incomparable One. Your greatest need is to worship and you have been created to worship the Triune God.
8. Integrity: If you do not forgive others neither will your Father in heaven forgive you. God’s expectation is that as you come to Him asking for forgiveness, grace, and mercy, you are also freely giving those to the people who are asking you for them! Jesus was adamant about His disdain for hypocrisy and double standards in the lives of His disciples.
To reach a pastor with an urgent prayer request please call 702-362-9000 and promptly press 9. Thank you!
***Note: Please do not include names or information that may be too personal also please keep prayer requests to 150 words or less, thank you!
My husband and I yearn for a child of our own. After 2.5 years of trying and five losses, one would think it gets easier, but it doesn’t. My prayer request is that God would allow me to conceive naturally with a healthy baby. Please God open my womb and breathe new life into it. Hope deferred makes the heart SICK
Received: March 22, 2020
More ways to pray
Send prayer requests to: Calvary Chapel Las Vegas 7175 West Oquendo Road Las Vegas, NV 89113 USA
Text your prayer requests to 702-518-4453